Saturday, December 31, 2011

Elder Matthew

“I’m a girl that’s what we do, jump to conclusions!”
“ughhh, the longer I’m single the more I want to STAY single.” 

This is a typical conversation between my oldest brother and myself normally including inside jokes, movie quotes, and stories about parents. 

Frankly when I was about eleven I thought he was the worst brother on the planet.  We did NOT get along; I was needy and loud, he was moody and quiet.  After he moved away to college something changed, for some reason I found that he was more than a brother, but a friend, a comrade, a partner in the crime against our parents. ;)  I realized through the highs and lows of everything I’d been through he was there right beside (even if at times he didn’t want to be there).   It took him being away for all of us to appreciate what we had. 
I remember the first time he glared at these guys for checking me out, I grinned good-naturedly.  Even today I’m always amused at his “Big Brother” mode that instantly turns on. I’ve gone to him so many times for advice and just someone to talk to.  Even though growing up I could never see why God had put him in my life today, I know I NEED/ED him.  Without him I don’t know who would’ve listened to me rant for an hour or told me to not let what other people say get in the way.   He’s constantly reminding to keep what I believe in first and not to let others dictate who I know I can be.  “You always have to look out for number one Heidi…long pause…that’s you.” Hahaha   To some extent he forced me to grow up and take responsibility for my actions.  But more than telling me how to grow up, he showed me.  It was through his actions I learned how nothing is impossible when I ask God for His help.  
For my job interview I was asked who my hero was.  It took me awhile to decide but I finally picked my older brother.  Why?  Because he’s artistic, clever, he balanced a demanding job, college, and internships. He pushed through heartache and found that each new day provides us with a new hope. He fought for his dream job and and man am I proud of the job he landed.  But more than that I'm proud to call this man my brother.

I guess all I can say is, Happy Birthday Matthew, I don’t know what I did to deserve you for an older brother but thanks for all the laughter, strength and joy you bring into everyone’s life. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment