Thursday, September 1, 2011

Boat or Water

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.  But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I.  Don’t be afraid.”  “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”   “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
Matthew 14:25-31

       Peter walked on water.  I keep repeating myself trying to imagine what it must’ve felt like.  I’m quickly reminded that walking on water isn’t always literally “walking on water” the term is used to orchestrate what it’s like to follow Christ and His will for our lives.
That’s something I really admire in Peter he was always so quick to follow Jesus.  He saw him walking and wanted to be there too.  There have been so many times I have seen where Christ was walking and didn’t want to go.  The boat I was in seemed so much “safer” to me than the murky sea.   But that’s how we grow in our faith, by letting go of what we think is “safe” and looking completely into Christ’s eyes. 

       We should be constantly remembering God’s promise “never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  Hebrews 13:5b
Faithfully following Jesus is a hard task when we look at the wind and the waves.  But why are we even looking at the wind and the waves?  Aren’t we supposed to be looking only toward Jesus?   When Peter took his eyes off of Christ and focused on the things that surrounded him he fell.  How often do we get caught up in the winds of life and lose sight of Christ?  But then comes my favorite part of the story, as Peter began to sink he cried out “Lord, save me!”  and Jesus reached out his hand and pulled him up.  Honestly that makes me so thrilled to know that whenever we cry out for God to save us, He will!  "The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles." Psalm 34:17

         Don’t become complacent in the boat we all have the ability to walk on water, just like Peter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment