Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Early Morning

God “gives us brief moments with another...but sometimes in those brief moment we get memories that last a life time...” 


       “Heidi, wake up, mom said if you want to get the route down you have to leave right now with me or figure it out on your own Monday.” 
I looked at my phone. It was 5:15 am. But I realized my younger brother was right, I needed to figure out my bus route for school BEFORE school actually started, plus I had a book I needed to get also.  I groaned, got dressed, grabbed my house keys and walked out the door with him. 

       As we made our way through the dark streets of our neighborhood to the bus stop (which was a thirty minute walk) I realized how lucky I am to have him for a brother.  Whose brother figures out a bus route for you while you’re sleeping and then comes and wakes you up at 5am? 
I was soon lost to my thoughts.  We used to do a lot more stuff together but since we got older our tastes changed from toy cars and dress up.  He dresses up for the football field I played volleyball, he likes video games, I try to stay away from them. Haha.  The bus pulled up and shattered my train of thought, we hopped on and sat for nearly an hour.

      When we got to the campus I found out the bookstore wouldn’t open till 9am, it was only 7am….oh joy.  We decided to take another walk to find a Starbucks, there was only a Carl’s about a mile away, but it would have to suffice.  Our conversations didn’t amount to much, small talk about school and his football team but it was, well, peaceful.  For once in a long time we weren’t surrounded by family members who wanted an answer or help in a task.  It was a moment I could’ve easily said no to and stayed in bed, but I would have missed being able to just silently walk side by side laughing at the antics of random cheerleaders and bus riders.

      When we finally got home it was 10:30 he went off to football practice and I went to finish my work.  I was amazed at how much he’s grown and even though I see him every day I somehow missed out.  He’s not so little anymore, he’s a lot stronger than people give him credit for.  He’ll always be the one person who constantly grounds me telling me “you’ll know when it’s right.” And “who cares?”  I hate those two pieces of advice but so far they haven’t proved to be faulty.  Soon he’s going to be moved out pursing his life goals, I can’t believe how fast our childhood flew by, but he’s going to succeed in adulthood, he’s too stubborn not to.


Don’t waste the moments we have with one another, that one moment may be the last.



No comments:

Post a Comment