Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Place of Refuge

      I hear weekly about a world where there is no God, or a god who is not my own.  You can’t miss it, the feeling is so strong it’s almost as if you’re caught in a thick forrest and no one can see the light out but you.  The agnostic, self-righteous beliefs run thick in this place--it’s a school, there for learning and yet even those who know truth can fall susceptible to the lies that wreak its halls and doorways. 
    Sleep is a time of rest, a place to escape the illness.  And yet, even in sleep I am haunted by the memories.  I am thrust into sin fighting to get out, thrashing, gasping for a hope no one claims to believe.  I want to escape it but I know it was for this place and for this time I was called to shine for Him.
“And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14

I wake up.  It’s Sunday. 

“Well you look all happy today!” 

      I laugh and say that I don’t know why but I could barely pay attention in church I was in such a good mood.  As I leave for home I start to realize it.  Every day I am at school is a battle.  The devil and my flesh are fighting against Jesus and my spirit. This battle is, well, tiring and I am always calling on God for strength and a restful time to renew my worn out soul. 
      So why was I so happy?  Because I now see how my friends and my church are a place I can find refuge.  I don’t have to worry about being “attacked” or “diminished” I can just relax.  It’s a safe house in the midst of a great war.  I smile because I know God is giving me a time of renewal.  I rejoice in knowing He has placed amazing friends in my life to be a constant comfort and support. 

Isaiah 40:28-31  "Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God,   the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint,   and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary,and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;   they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary;   they shall walk and not faint."

      I finally felt ready to continue the fight.  I was ready to go back with a smile on my face and the joy of the Lord as my strength; knowing that God will never give me a battle without giving me strength. So basically I am really REALLY happy, but most of all extremely grateful for the friends He has given me. 


"The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him." Exodus 15:2



1 comment:

  1. Amen! I can identify with that feeling of happiness -- and not being 'attacked' or 'diminished' -- it's fantastic and wonderful and exactly what we need. <3

    ReplyDelete