Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What If

      I pulled up to my brother’s school to drop him off; he was early and didn’t want to get out yet.  I sighed pulled over and sat with him for a few minutes thinking about how I SHOULD be home getting my homework done.  Finally, he got out I told him to "play nice with the other children" and I drove off.  I was only seconds from the school when I saw a fire truck in the middle of the lane I was in. 

It wasn’t there when I was driving here a few minutes ago.

Then I saw it: A white truck had completely smashed the drivers side of a car; someone was injured.

That could’ve been me…I was supposed to be here at that moment but my brother made me stay and wait with him.

      Reality strikes hard.  It’s strange to think how many times we’ve probably come close to death.  We get frustrated when things don’t go our way. Every day occurances such as traffic, a flight delayed or cancelled, children procrastinating to the car all seem insignificant by themselves, but what if one of those things were to go differently, what would've happened?  It's as if Someone is watching out for us, saving us. We look so closely at the puzzle we fail to see the grander picture and how every piece of the puzzle has a place. 

"There is a time for everything, 
  and a season for every activity under the heavens:
  a time to be born and a time to die,
  a time to plant and a time to uproot,
  a time to kill and a time to heal,
  a time to tear down and a time to build,
 
  a time to weep and a time to laugh,
  a time to mourn and a time to dance,
  a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
  a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
  a time to search and a time to give up,
  a time to keep and a time to throw away,
  a time to tear and a time to mend,
  a time to be silent and a time to speak,
  a time to love and a time to hate, 
  a time for war and a time for peace." 
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


So maybe I didn’t “almost” die, it wasn't my time.  But the realization that I could have been there at that moment made me think,

what if that was me...



2 comments:

  1. Eek!! That's a pretty harsh realization to come to. Makes me ashamed of every time I fretted today about how God was making a change to my plans....

    I'm glad it wasn't you.

    ReplyDelete