Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stopping Time

Ain’t it funny how some things take you back?
And the here and now just fades to black

      “I am a robot…I have come to keel youuuu”  I hear my five year old sister robotically declaring from the back yard.  Laughingly I think about how she’s grown into such a little person.  She used to be so little and well the only word she knew was “NO!” haha
      I open my pictures folder to search for videos and pictures of her when she was a baby.  However, I come across much more than just pictures of her.  Basically the past four years of my life has been rediscovered. 

      Every photo I see becomes a reality.  I smell the ocean of Hawaii and the trees in the Sequoias, I hear my friends’ laughter and experience the adrenaline rush of a game or race.  This is why I take so many pictures I think to myself.  It has nothing to do with the moment at hand, but I know years down the road I’m going to look at that photo and be able to experience it again.  
       Society repeatedly tells me how improbable it is to stop time. Although they may be slightly right I hold to the belief that we have the ability to ensnare time.  In a picture time has been trapped and lies there awaiting your discovery of it. Through your memory the picture suddenly comes alive and there it is…all over again…

You’re gonna miss this
You’re gonna want this back
You’re gonna wish these days
Hadn’t flown by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
                                             But you’re gonna miss this 
       The memories slip away and reality soon draws me back in.  I head out to college thinking about the amazing memories God has given me. They have left a haunting effect on me.


 For a memory plays the tune of a life passed and yet subsists as the melody for a future untold.  


Leaving them behind is not effortless. But I fancy there are portraits to be captured and frames to be hung.  After all I’m still young and “ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!” So I’ll just bring my camera and chase it down.





No comments:

Post a Comment